With the first day of summer officially here, I think it's appropriate to say it's freaking HOT! I started sweating just walking to my car and it's only June. What's going to happen when August gets here?! The heat down south can be brutal, so I'm sharing some healthy tips on staying cool this summer!
1. Drink LOTS of water - Yeah, I know... this is pretty obvious, but there can be some serious consequences if you become dehydrated. Especially with a heat index of 106 in June... Drink AT LEAST half your body weight in ounces each day! But if you are working/exercising outside, you may need more. I'm not really one to drink sports drinks, but when it's this hot and I'm sweating so much, I do. I like the Gatorade G2 because it has less sugar than regular Gatorade.
2. Workout early - I'm NOT a morning person by any means, so getting up early can be a challenge sometimes. But since I'm about 6 weeks out from the start of my half marathon training, there is absolutely NO WAY I can run in the afternoons after work with this heat - so that means it's time to start running early in the mornings. Not only will it be a little cooler, but I will feel super energized the rest of the day!
3. Wear dry-fit clothing - Seriously, it's so much cooler when wearing a dry-fit shirt when I run compared to a cotton shirt. It's light-weight and breathable!
4. Snack on fruits and vegetables - Fruits and vegetables have a very high water content - not to mention packed with vitamins and minerals that are used to help keep you hydrated! Frozen fruit makes refreshing snack - my favorite is frozen grapes!
5. Don't forget the sunscreen - I burn pretty easily, so anytime I know I'm going to be in the sun for more than 20-30 minutes, I always apply! No one wants wrinkles or anything worse...
6. Enjoy the summer! - Mine will be filled with a beach trip, lots of snowballs, and maybe some paddle boarding - really making me wish I were going back to the Keys and Sanibel this summer!
Mention "Taylor'd Nutrition" at Mackie Shilstone GNC located at 2901 Magazine St. or 5300 Tchoupitoulas St. to receive a discount on select products!