Exciting news for Mackie Shilstone GNC - Their new location is now open on Tchoupitoulas and they are having a Grand Opening Sale Memorial Day Weekend!! The sale starts on Friday, May 27 and runs through the weekend! The entire store will be 40% off with select BOGO half off specials! Time to stock up on products!
Not to mention that Mackie Shilstone, Eat Fit NOLA, and MYSLEF will be in the store May 28 to answer health and nutrition questions!
The new store is located at 5300 Tchoupitoulas St.
*Don't forget to mention Taylor'd Nutrition when you shop at the Magazine location (and now the Tchoupitoulas location) to receive a discount (not applicable with other discounts)!
Summer is quickly approaching, which means flip flops, tan lines, and snowballs... Not to mention the brutal heat! Participating in any sort of outdoor activity is going to be challenging... for me, that would be running. Once I get on that runner's high, I feel like I could go forever, but the heat certainly puts a damper on that. Finding the motivation to exercise (or participate in any outdoor activity) in the summer can be tough. Here are my 5 tips for keeping yourself motivated to run during those summer months!
1. Stay hydrated - for those longer runs, invest in a water belt or CamelBak. Or try running in a new place that has easy access to water fountains where you can refill your water bottle. And don't forget proper nutrition - you will be sweating a lot, so make sure to replenish electrolytes too!
2. Get up earlier - run before the sun comes up. It's still humid and hot, but the sun isn't beating on your back and slowing you down. Not to mention that you will feel more energized throughout the day!!
3. Take it inside - as much as I can't stand running on a treadmill, sometimes I breakdown and have to do it. It's nothing like running outside (which I clearly prefer) but sometimes I need to get that run in and it's much better than running in the heat of the day!
4. Cross Train - this is the perfect time to try a new class or new routine at the gym! Running everyday during the summer is not exactly realistic living in New Orleans... so you have to be flexible with changing your workout plans at the last minute. Who knows, a mini-hurricane may blow through one afternoon, preventing you from hitting the pavement...
5. Wear cool, breathable clothing - you are going to be sweating. A lot. So wearing dry-fit shirts and tanks will make you a little more comfortable, as opposed to wearing super tight, non-breathable materials. And don't forget the sunscreen too!!
6. Wear a good pair of running shoes - getting fitted for running shoes is a must!! Having a proper-fitting pair of running shoes helps prevent injuries, takes some pressure off your joints, and overall makes your run a lot more comfortable! This tip isn't just for summer either - a good pair of running shoes is one of the most important things a runner can have. Yes, they can be expensive, but would you rather increase your risk for injury by running in shoes that aren't supportive or could potentially by hurting you? Didn't think so... When I first got fitted, and after my first run in my new shoes, I promised myself I would never run in a pair of Nike's again!! I personally love Mizunos - not to mention the color I currently have is my favorite color!
It's crazy for me to think that a year ago I was stressing about taking my last set of finals and getting ready for graduation! It's been an interesting and exciting year to say the least, and unfortunately it came with it's disappointments too. Recently, I've come to the realization (even though I've heard this a million times...) that it doesn't really matter how long it takes you to do something. What matters is that you complete it. Just because it takes you a little longer to achieve your goal than someone else, doesn't mean you failed; it just means that that was your path you were meant to be on. And it may take a little time to figure out exactly what we are supposed to be doing and where we are supposed to be. I believe everything happens for a reason and I've sort of started down a new path, which will be revealed at a later date... But I'm SUPER excited about it!
Not going to lie... I'm pretty nervous for this new adventure because what if it doesn't work out like I plan? I've thought about this question non-stop for the last week. I've finally convinced myself that it doesn't matter what happens... All that matters is that I'm doing everything I can to reach my goal!
What good is it going to do for me to just sit around and hope that the right opportunity presents itself? That's right. No good at all. So that's why I've decided it's time for me to take the next steps to get to where I want to be and it's taking me down a slightly different path than I thought I would be on, and I'm okay with that because it's making me happy! And that's the important thing here, right?